Thursday, October 2, 2008

Podcasts

This is one of the training sessions that really spiked my enthusiasm. I've always wanted to listen to podcasts of 2BL radio shows that I've missed but never got round to doing anything about it. Now that I've found them and can see what's available, I can't wait to get my Ipod back from my daughter and start downloading!!!
The other great thing is the Online Education Database in the Adventure section. What a wonderful resource - free online classes from Stanford, UC Berkeley, MIT, Harvard, UCLA, the list goes on. I've found heaps of topics I'd like to listen to, now I've just got to find the time.
How we could use podcasting in our Library? It could be a great tool for 'How to' on our catalogue and homepage eg how to make a reservation, how to get an ILL, how to do a list of DVDs etc. It's an easy way for people to get the information they want, quickly. We could use them for local studies, family history, searching on the Internet etc. I'm not quite sure how you actually make a podcast - I'm assuming a microphone, software and willing staff member are crucial ingredients!
Well, I'm off to listen to: String Theory, Black Holes and the Laws of Nature from Harvard - and I won't have a HECS debt at the end of it!

No comments: