Monday, August 4, 2008

Blogging for beginners 1

I find this whole process a tad stressful. I have only ever looked at other people's blogs and have had no desire to create my own, and indeed wonder why people want to!!! However, I know I can't hide from Web 2.0 so should at least understand how it all works.
I'm a passionate believer in lifelong learning and am always looking for new opportunities that increase my knowledge and challenge me. And thinking of what to write in my blog certainly is challenging!
I've just come back from the PLC conference at Tamworth and heard Chrystie Hill speak on building online communities. Fascinating stuff - makes me realise how much is happening on the web that the library world has no part of! It certainly is different thinking of all these new ways for libraries to engage with people, and not just those who walk in the front door. I suppose the challenge is to still provide great service to those who do walk through the door, while cultivating a new clientele out there in webworld.

2 comments:

pls@slnsw said...

There is a lot to learn. You can always contact us for help if you need it. I hope the course becomes less stressful.

Ellen (PLS)

chrystie said...

Hi Deb, it was nice to see you at the conference in Tamworth. It certainly was a giant learning experience for me as well.

There are a few tricks that I have for making blogging *not* stressful:

First, don't worry about blogging on a schedule. Blog when you can. Blog when you want to. Blog when you absolutely have something you have to get out there. Otherwise? Don't blog. You can see from my own blog that I don't blog as often as I "should" or as often as I'd like to have time for. Still, it's useful to keep it going and get there when I can.

Second, when I don't have time to blog, but I think of something I want to blog about, I put it in a folder on my desktop (I use notepad to jot down a note, or save an email to remind me). Then, when I do have time to blog and I don't have something fresh or top of mind, I go back to that folder for reminders of things I wanted to say.

Finally, have fun.

;) Thanks for your kind words about the conference talk. It was a great pleasure for me to be there and to meet all of the country public librarians at the conference.

Cheers!